India's Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology reportedly issued fresh notices to 59 Chinese smartphone applications, making the ban on these applications permanent.
In June, MeitY had banned 59 apps, including Bytedance's TikTok, Alibaba's UC Browser and Tencent's WeChat, citing that they are "engaged in activities, which is prejudicial to sovereignty and integrity of India, defence of India, security of state and public order".
The company said that it was scaling down its employee size in India, as there has been no intimation from the government regarding a possible solution to the ban.
On September 2, the government had banned 118 more apps and in November it blocked 43 new Chinese mobile apps in the country, including shopping website AliExpress.
A representative of TikTok told the Economic Times that the company was in the process of evaluating the notice, and that it intends to respond appropriately. "We continually strive to comply with local laws and regulations and do our best to address any concerns the government may have".
The executives said that they will share severance and benefits details.
TikTok was banned in late June by the Indian government in the middle of rising tensions at the India-China border. It appears that the government was not satisfied with the response, and issued a notice last week, according to reports. "We look forward to receiving the opportunity to relaunch TikTok and support the hundreds of millions of users, artists, story-tellers, educators and performers in India", said a TikTok spokesperson.
A spokeswoman for ByteDance, whose hugely popular TikTok was the highest-profile app to be banned past year, would only refer Caixin to the Mint story.