Libby Squire ‘was raped, killed and dumped in the river’

Artist sketch of prosecutor Richard Wright and defendant Pawel Relowicz who is flanked by court security guards

UK University Student 'Was Raped And Murdered By Polish Man' After He Found Her Drunk In The Street

Prosecutors claim the images show the last known movements of the philosophy student as she got into a vehicle owned by the defendant Pawel Relowicz who is on trial at Sheffield Crown Court accused of rape and murder.

In the CCTV clip, some "toing and froing" can be seen before Libby eventually enters the vehicle, with a man the court was told is Relowicz standing by the passenger side door, Sheffield Crown Court heard.

The trial, which is taking place at Sheffield Crown Court, heard how Relowicz later drove away with Libby in his auto just moments later.

Mr Wright said Ms Squire got in the auto and was driven to some playing fields, where Mr Relowicz launched an "act of sexual violence, which culminated in his putting her, dead or dying, into the cold waters of the River Hull that bordered the edge".

She was refused entry to a nightclub because she seemed drunk and her friends put her in a taxi home.

The father of two is charged with the rape and murder of the 21-year-old, whom he allegedly targeted while she was drunk and alone near her university home on the night of Jan 31, 2019.

He described Relowicz as "circling about the area in his car" until Squire strayed into his path.

Richard Wright QC, prosecuting, said Relowicz was in a "heightened state of arousal" - browsing an internet pornography site twice in the hours after Ms Squire's disappearance and being captured on CCTV masturbating in the street.

Describing CCTV footage taken between 11.57pm on January 31 and 12.08am on February 1, 2019, Prosecutor Richard Wright QC said it showed Relowicz leaving his vehicle, walking past Ms Squire and crossing Beverley Road.

Relowicz denies rape and murder.

Jurors watched footage showing the defendant returning to his auto for three minutes but going back to Ms Squire after another vehicle leaves the road. The body was recovered seven weeks after she went missing when she was spotted in the Humber Estuary by a fishing boat skipper.

"Whether Libby was forced into the vehicle physically, an act that would, we suggest, not have been hard given her condition at that point, or whether she was persuaded to enter it, on the promise of some assistance being rendered to her, may never be clear from the CCTV footage alone".

Relowicz, of Raglan Street, Hull, sat in the dock with three prison officers as the footage was played to the silent courtroom.

Libby's father Russell exited the public gallery as the prosecution presented CCTV footage showing the 21-year-old getting into a auto with alleged murderer Pawel Relowicz.

"They were distant screams but they were loud screams". Mr Alford recalled them as frantic screams that had urgency and had depth.

Prosecutors allege the screams were Ms Squire's and a man seen "emerging from the darkness" and fleeing the area was the defendant.

Following his arrest on 6 February, Mr Wright said, police recovered the pink holdall "full of sex toys. and some photographs of young women and several pairs of women's knickers and thongs".

Prosecutors claim he was "prowling the streets" of Hull's student area in search of a victim when he intercepted the "extremely vulnerable" Ms Squire.

The court heard Ms Squire, from High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire, was not seen on any further CCTV footage after the defendant took her to the playing fields.

Latest News