Everything you need to know about Ontario's Stay at Home order

Toronto Construction  Shutterstock

Toronto Construction Shutterstock

Brown says half of hospitals have either no free intensive care unit beds, or just one or two free. The government will also implement new health and safety measures in child care settings, such as enhanced screening to align with school requirements, voluntary participation in targeted testing, and additional infection prevention to align with schools.

"One of the big changes with the stay-at-home order is actually allowing and empowering provincial offences officers, most commonly by-law enforcement officers, to also issue tickets and disperse crowds of larger than five if they aren't in the same household", added Sylvia Jones, Ontario's solicitor general.

"These are choices that no doctor ever wants to make, and no family ever wants to hear", Brown said.

Under what the province labels "worst-case scenario", deaths among residents of Ontario long-term care homes could reach more than 2,600 by February 14.

Ontario declared an emergency on Tuesday after latest modelling put Canada's most populous province on track to have more than 20,000 new COVID-19 cases per day by the middle of February, a almost ten-fold increase from the current count.

"The latest modelling data shows that Ontario is in a crisis and, with the current trends, our hospital ICUs will be overwhelmed in a few short weeks with unthinkable consequences", said Premier Doug Ford.

The stay at home order is meant to limit people's mobility, which is one of the primary means of transmission for COVID-19.

The new variant of COVID-19, SARS-CoV-2 (B117), could cause an increase in growth as current statistics show it is 56 per cent more transmittable than other variants now in the community.

Currently, the number of Ontarians infected with COVID-19 doubles every 35-40 days.

"However, case numbers will not decline until more of the population follows their example".

Public health officials have made recommendations to cabinet on what measures the province should undertake next.

The people of Toronto have questions - lots of them - following Premier Doug Ford's announcement Tuesday afternoon of even more public health restrictions aimed at slowing the exponential spread of COVID-19. And when does the new lockdown period start?

S. land border will remain closed to non-essential travel until at least February 21 - another 30-day extension to the restrictions in place since mid-March.

NDP Leader Andrea Horwath said the measures announced aren't dramatically different than what the government has already been asking people to do for weeks.

Public Health Ontario is reporting another triple-digit increase in new COVID-19 cases in the capital after a single-day drop on Tuesday.

Ontario officials say outbreaks are being reported across nearly all public health units, with 91 outbreaks and 37 percent "occurring in priority vaccination areas of Toronto, Peel, York, and Windsor-Essex. Over 44,800 tests were completed yesterday", Health Minister Christine Elliott said on Twitter.

Ontario is reporting 11,448 new vaccinations administered for a total of 133,553 doses given. Of those ICU patients, 262 are breathing with the help of a ventilator. There were 41 deaths reported. Twenty-three of today's deaths were long-term care residents.

It has become the deadliest care home outbreak in British Columbia.

The seven-day average for new cases is now 3,523, which is up from 2,646 at the same time last week.

Ontario had received 196,025 doses of COVID-19 vaccines as of January 7, according to Health Canada.

Latest News