Pizza restaurant worker’s lie led to South Australia lockdown, officials say

Enlarge this image

Enlarge this image

South Australia is to lift a strict six-day coronavirus lockdown early, saying the curbs were imposed after a man who tested positive misled contact tracers about his activities.

"We are still managing a very unsafe cluster, and although we are reducing those restrictions, we are still very concerned about this cluster and there are still many people we need to identify and put into a quarantine situation".

On Wednesday, authorities ordered schools, shops, pubs, factories and even takeaway restaurants to close and stay-at-home orders were issued for residents across the state of about 1.8 million people.

South Australia was in its second day of a six-day lockdown on Friday to head off a potential new surge of its own.

Mr Stevens would not be drawn on the man's likely motivation for misleading contact tracers.

However, she said officials are still working to get in touch with 40 close contacts.

"Their story didn't add up".

"I know this has been a very challenging time for the people of South Australia, but we have avoided a catastrophic situation in our state by following the unequivocal advice", Mr Marshall said.

"This person's failure to be truthful with contact tracers means his close associates - who we understand he's had close contact with - haven't been identified and are now in the community", Mr Stevens said.

The pizza parlour employee was interviewed by a contact tracing team earlier this week.

Police did not identify the man, but said he worked at the Woodville Pizza Bar in Adelaide.

Annie Fuller is now in quarantine on the Gold Coast after returning from South Australia. However, they found that he had worked shifts at the shop where he was infected while working with a security guard who had contracted the virus at the Peppers Waymouth quarantine hotel in Adelaide's CBD.

Will the man face criminal charges?

"To say I am fuming is an understatement", state Premier Steven Marshall told reporters on Friday. "These selfish actions of this individual have put our whole state in a very hard situation", Premier Marshall said.

"What we can say is that we absolutely were looking at facing a second wave", Dr Spurrier said, claiming she had "no regrets" about her decision.

Will the restrictions be revoked completely?

While authorities are clearly not very happy with the individual, there is also concern that there may be recriminations against his employer, with a police auto remaining parked outside the Woodville Pizza Bar to guard it. The use of face masks or face coverings outside the home are encouraged but not mandatory.

The Indian Express is now on Telegram.

Latest News