A rocket was sacked at Israel from the Gaza Strip on Saturday evening, according to the army, shortly after warning sirens sounded in the southern Israeli city of Ashkelon.
Magen David Adom - an Israeli National Emergency Pre-Hospital Medical and Blood Services Organization - said no casualties were reported.
Earlier in the day. the Israeli Defence Forces (IDF) said that a red alert was activated in the city of Ashkelon, noting that details were under investigation.
The launch raised the likelihood of an Israeli reprisal in Gaza.
There was no claim of responsibility for the 15 November rocket fire, but Israel routinely holds Islamist group Hamas responsible for all attacks originating from its territory. The two projectiles struck open areas, causing neither injury nor damage.
The Hamas terror group sent messages to Israel that claimed the rockets were fired accidentally, set off by lightning during a thunderstorm, an explanation that the IDF has apparently accepted.
Hamas spokesman Fawzi Barhoum said Israel is to blame for "everything that happens in Gaza as it continues to blockade it and carry out attacks".
A tweet reads: "Following the report of a warning, one launch was identified from the Gaza Strip into Israeli territory".
Israel has since maintained a crippling blockade on the Gaza Strip, to isolate Hamas.
Two weeks ago, a drone was flown from the Strip into Israeli airspace before it was brought down by the Israeli military.
The Israeli military said Hamas would "bear the consequences" for any attacks.
Hamas, considered a terrorist group by Israel, seized control of Gaza from the rival Palestinian movement Fatah in 2007 in a near civil war.