Djokovic ready to move on from US Open default

Novak Djokovic says doing best to control on-court emotions after US Open default

Djokovic eager to put US Open controversy behind him in Rome

Rafael Nadal has told Novak Djokovic he must have more self-control after the world No 1 was disqualified from the US Open last week for hitting the line judge with a stray ball. It was the first time in my career that something like this happens.

"I understand that I have outbursts and this is the personality and the player I have always been".

"Obviously went through ups and downs in my career, managing to control my emotions more or less". I can not promise or I can not guarantee that I will never ever do anything similar to that in my life.

"I'm going to take this in as profound as possible for me as a big lesson". "I don't know what's the situation's going to look like in Roland Garros".

Djokovic said that he called on the lineswoman to check on her health since the incident at Flushing Meadows.

He said: "Of course it was very hard for me to accept right after it happened".

"The ball hits a line judge, it was just unfortunate that I hit the umpire in a very awkward place". There was a lot of speculation about whether it was deserved.

"The rules are clear so I accepted it, I had to move on".

"I checked on Laura after the match". It was very unfortunate and I feel sorry for him.

"Regardless of how he feels, I'm sure he'll find a way". It was very unexpected and very unintended as well, to hit her.

"I accepted it, I had to move on and that's what I did". "We can not be with the fans, we can not be with the people that are not in the bubble, so I think they will be separate".

"Rome is always exciting", said Nadal, via a virtual press conference on Monday. "You know, I want to congratulate both of these guys", Djokovic said. "I'm hoping for the best", said the 17-times Grand Slam victor.

Nadal, who has a record nine titles in Rome, is on the opposite side of the draw to Djokovic and remains reasonably confident of more claycourt success.

"Sorry for him. He had an opportunity there", Nadal said.

"But in some ways you should not be doing this". The ball flew right at the line judge, who dropped to her knees at the back of the court and reached for her neck.

Nadal will be playing for the first time in over six months at the Internazionali d'Italia. But here I am.

In his first contact with the clay of Rome, Rafa Nadal trained with another of the tennis players to watch in the tournament, the Swiss Stan Wawrinka, who like Nadal gave up competing in Cincinnati and the US Open and that he has participated in several ATP Challenger Tour tournaments to pick up the pace of competition.

He elected not to enter the US Open bubble to defend the title he won in 2019 and his only goal is to be competitive against his compatriot.

Latest News