Department of Justice Drops Investigation Into Former FBI Deputy Director Andrew McCabe

Ex-FBI deputy

Ex-FBI Deputy Director Andrew McCabe won't be charged for role in leaks to media

McCabe said he was glad the investigation was over but criticized the Justice Department for taking so long.

Federal prosecutors have declined to charge former FBI Deputy Director Andrew McCabe - a frequent target of President Trump for his role in the Russian Federation probe - closing an investigation into whether he lied to the feds about his role in leaking to the media, his legal team said Friday.

"We write to inform you that, after careful consideration, the Government has decided not to pursue criminal charges against your client, Andrew G. McCabe, arising from the referral" made by the Inspector General's office to investigate his behavior, the DC US Attorney's Office wrote.

Since he was sacked by former Attorney General Jeff Sessions in March 2018, McCabe has often been a punching bag for Trump, and the department's decision not to charge him could further stoke Trump's ire.

It's unclear whether Barr's criticism also alluded to the office's investigation of McCabe, whom Trump has targeted in dozens of tweets and in his public statements complaining about the Russian Federation investigation.

U.S. Attorney Timothy Shea, in a letter to McCabe's lawyers, wrote that the DOJ "has decided not to pursue criminal charges" over whether the former top law enforcement official misled investigators who were probing how the Federal Bureau of Investigation and DOJ handled matters associated with the 2016 election.

He was sacked in March, hours before he was set to retire.

McCabe's lawyers declared on Friday, "At long last, justice has been done in this matter".

The decision resolves a criminal investigation that spanned more than a year. "We are pleased that Andrew McCabe and his family can go on with their lives without this cloud hanging over them".

The 2018 inspector general's report faulted McCabe for leaking information to then-Wall Street Journal reporter Devlin Barrett for an October 30, 2016 story titled "FBI in Internal Feud Over Hillary Clinton Probe".

The Justice Department's decision to seek a lighter sentence for Stone earlier this week prompted all four prosecutors on the case to resign in apparent protest.

"I am not going to be bullied or influenced by anybody ... whether it's Congress, a newspaper editorial board, or the president", Barr told ABC News on Thursday. "This doesn't mean that I do not have, as President, the legal right to do so, I do, but I have so far chosen not to!" he wrote on Twitter. Trump has argued that the FBI under their watch initiated politically motivated investigations into his 2016 campaign, including seeking a Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act (FISA) warrant to spy on former campaign aide Carter Page.

The Justice Department under Trump has also dropped its investigations into Clinton and declined to prosecute former FBI Director James Comey. Horowitz, in a separate report released a year ago, found there were "at least 17 significant errors or omissions in the Carter Page FISA applications and many errors in the Woods Procedures".

Latest News