T-Mobile announced this morning that CEO John Legere, the man most consider responsible for turning T-Mobile into a legitimate wireless carrier in the USA over the past several years, will step down from the company next year.
Sievert, as chief marketing officer and later as operating chief, was the brains behind many of T-Mobile's popular initiatives.
Legere tweeted that the move "has been under development for a long time". Legere had been rumored to be a candidate for the CEO job at WeWork, but a person familiar with the matter said last week that he was sticking with his current role for now. Legere hasn't given an indication of what he plans to do after stepping down as CEO next year.
T-Mobile, in an SEC filing, said that the appointment of Sievert, 50, came after a "multiyear, comprehensive leadership succession planning process". The company said Legere is going to remain a board member and will assist with the company's pending acquisition of rival Sprint (S).
T-Mobile expects the Sprint deal to close in early 2020, some two years after it was originally announced. The companies have claimed the union will accelerate the rollout of next-gen 5G service nationwide. Legere has almost four decades of phone-company experience, including serving as CEO of Global Crossing Ltd. after it emerged from bankruptcy protection.
Legere will exit his position as T-Mobile CEO on April 30, 2020.