North Korea launched two short-range projectiles early Tuesday, despite offering dialogue to the United States just hours earlier.
State media in North Korea say the country's leader oversaw the test of a "super-large multiple rocket launcher " on Tuesday.
What Happened: North Korea test-fired two projectiles into the Sea of Japan early on September 10 local time, Yonhap reported.
"I want to believe that the USA side would come out with an alternative based on a calculation method that serves both sides' interests and is acceptable to us", Choe said.
"The timing could be convenient for USA diplomacy with North Korea", said Leif-Eric Easley, a professor at Seoul's Ewha University.
No further particulars had been promptly available but it was the hottest in a sequence of provocations.
North Korea has been separated from South Korea since 1945. "We are continuing to keep track of the scenario and consulting closely with our allies in the location".
Kim and Trump met again at the Korean border in late June and agreed to restart diplomacy, but there have no public meetings between the sides since then.
The tests came hours after Vice Foreign Minister Choe Son Hui said in an announcement carried by state media that North Korea was willing to have "comprehensive talks" with the USA in late September at a place and time to be agreed.
"I believe that the United States side will come out with a proposal geared to the interests of the DPRK and the USA and based on the calculation method acceptable to us", Choe said, referring to North Korea by an acronym for the country's formal name, the Democratic People's Republic of Korea.
The comments came a day after Secretary of State Mike Pompeo expressed hope that talks with the North Koreans would resume "in the coming days, or perhaps weeks". "I always say having meetings is a good thing, not a bad thing". "We are going to see what occurs". To the contrary, a United Nations report last week said the North's development of nuclear warheads has not stopped.
On Monday, Choe recalled Kim's responses that the North would wait till the stop of the calendar year for Washington to "give up its existing calculation system" and urged the USA to occur up with an "suitable" supply or chance jeopardising the entire diplomatic method. Such a test, which could involve the transporter erector (TEL) launcher seen in accompanying photos, would improve the survivability of the weapon and confound USA and South Korean military planners.
North Korea has now launched weapons on eight occasions since July 25, as negotiations with the United States have stalled over the scope of the reclusive country's denuclearization, and the amount of sanctions relief to be granted in return.
US President Donald Trump has played down the tests when speaking about North Korea publicly.
In the past, Bolton has proposed using military force to overthrow the ruling Kim family and U.S. officials have said Bolton was responsible for the collapse of Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong Un's second summit in Vietnam in February.
Trump returned from Singapore to Washington tweeting, "There is no longer a Nuclear Threat from North Korea".
"If we are to realize success, North Korea need to set aside its search for road blocks to negotiations and rather seek the options for engagement though that option lasts", he said on Friday.
"Our mission set at the State Department is very clear: to get back to the table" and to deliver a mechanism to achieve "a full, completely denuclearized and verified denuclearized North Korea", Pompeo said. "We are completely ready, but we can not do this by ourselves".