Avery Greene from Mallow, Co.
The alarm was raised shortly after 9am yesterday when a man went for a swim in the pool and thought there was an inflatable toy floating in the water.
Despite reports the boy had a faint pulse and was breathing with the aid of a respirator as he was airlifted to hospital, it has been confirmed he has today died in hospital. Avery responded after CPR and his vital signs were restored.
He was put on life support, surrounded by his devastated family.
Municipal sources told the local press that the boy was with his grandparents who are understood to be from Cork and that they had just eaten breakfast, however sources now indicate that he was in the care of his mother.
Fine Gael Councillor in Mallow John Paul O'Shea said that the family of the young child were not known to him.
They said in a joint statement: "The Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade stands ready to provide consular assistance to any Irish citizen in distress overseas". However, what has occurred is "every parent's nightmare".
The boy was discovered unconscious in the communal swimming pool by an early morning bather.
"It is a very tough time for everyone and our thoughts and prayers are with the families at this very tough time".
He was eventually revived and taken to Hospital de Alicante by helicopter.