Ortiz underwent surgery in the Dominican Republic following the shooting, and doctors removed his gallbladder and part of his intestines. He was then transported to Boston. Local officials have said Ortiz was shot in a case of mistaken identity and have an least 14 people in custody in connection with the shooting.
Things took a turn earlier this week though as Ortiz's wife Tiffany released a statement saying he had to go through a third surgery.
Red Sox slugger David Ortiz has undergone a third surgery for complications resulting from being shot in his native Dominican Republic, the team said Thursday. Ortiz's wife didn't give specific details in regards to the complications although she did note that he is "recovering well and in good spirits". "We continue to be incredibly appreciative of the kindness and compassion show to David and to our entire family during this hard time". The alleged mastermind of the attack had so far paid only $10,000 to people hired to arrange the killing of his cousin, Sixto David Fernandez, according to authorities. Both men were sharing a table at the time.
General from a gunshot wound suffered in the Dominican Republic on June 9.
The shooting has led to the arrest of at least 14 people who authorities say meant to target a friend of Ortiz who was with the Red Sox icon at the nightclub.