Congo's Ebola outbreak could last another year — CDC head

Paul Allen’s foundation opens challenge to combat Ebola outbreak in Congo

Ebola outbreak contained in Congo, could be over by September: WHO

The Ebola outbreak in the eastern Democratic Republic of Congo should be over within six months, the head of the World Health Organisation said on Thursday.

Over 580 people have died in the current outbreak, with almost 1,000 believed to be infected.

Three weeks ago, treatment centers in Katwa and Butembo were attacked, and the facility in Butembo was attacked again last week while the World Health Organization chief was visiting the region.

The number of new cases has halved to 25 per week since January, and the virus was now concentrated in Butembo and Katwa, although community distrust and attacks by armed groups were hampering the response. That means the vigorous efforts to track the contacts of the sick are not entirely successful.

"Based on our experience with Ebola in Liberia and the death it brought to most of our brothers and sisters, we believe this could cause a great psychological impact on the minds of our players", said LFA secretary-general Isaac Montgomery.

"We have a striking contradiction: on the one hand a rapid and large outbreak response with new medical tools such as vaccines and treatments that show promising outcomes when people come early - and on the other hand, people with Ebola are dying in their communities, and do not trust the Ebola response enough to come forward", said International President of MSF, Dr Joanne Liu.

"It has not spread to other parts of the country, and it has not spread to neighboring countries".

"We can not underestimate this outbreak".

"(This) could serve as an impediment to our players' performance given our recent past of the Ebola epidemic in our country", added Montgomery in a letter, seen by the BBC, sent to Caf secretary-general Amr Fahmy on 10 March. The attackers targeted an Ebola transit center, where suspected cases are evaluated and then referred to treatment centers in the area.

As of March 13, the World Health Organization reported 932 confirmed and probable Ebola infections linked to Congo's outbreak, including 587 deaths. At least 584 people have died among the 927 confirmed and probable cases in this outbreak.

Latest News