Social Media Companies Race To Take Down Video Of New Zealand Shootings

The mosques were packed with worshippers for Friday prayers

The mosques were packed with worshippers for Friday prayers

New Zealand's Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern called the shooting a "terrorist attack" and one of the country's darkest days.

Three men and one woman are in custody. He was living in Dunedin, a seaside city south of Christchurch, has traveled around the world and spent sporadic periods in New Zealand. He is expected to appear in court Saturday, according to Police Commissioner Mike Bush. Most if not all of the victims were gunned down by an immigrant-hating white supremacist who apparently used a helmet-mounted camera to broadcast live video of the slaughter on Facebook. Genuis initially rejected calls to follow suit, calling it a talk on human rights, and accused Sgro on social media of retreating only after she remembered this is an election year.

'As soon as new Zealanders hear that someone was able to legally acquire, as I'm advised, those weapons and carry out this event, that will raise enormous questions with our gun-laws and that is why we will respond swiftly'.

The document was posted on Twitter and 8chan, a website known for extremist right-wing discourse.

Ms Ardern confirmed two of the 40 people who were being treated for injuries at the Christchurch Hospital were in a critical condition, while a five-year-old child had been transported to Starship Hospital in Auckland. Dozens of others were wounded.

"We also cooperate with law enforcement to facilitate their investigations as required", it said.

Many of you will have seen that Air New Zealand has cancelled all turboprop flights out of Christchurch tonight and will review the situation in the morning.

Witnesses told media that a man dressed in a military-style, camouflage outfit, and carrying an automatic rifle had started randomly shooting people in the Al Noor mosque.

The attack, which Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern labeled as terrorism, was the worst ever peacetime mass killing in New Zealand and the country raised its security threat level to the highest. Police also defused explosive devices found in a vehicle.

New Zealand police lifted a city-wide lockdown that was imposed in Christchurch after the attacks.

A police officer patrols at a cordon near a mosque in central Christchurch, New Zealand, March 15, 2019.

There are now four individuals who have been apprehended, but three are connected to this attack who are now in custody, one of which has publicly stated that they were Australian-born.

Syed Mazharuddin, who witnessed the Linwood attack, said that attendants were praying when they heard... They have chosen to make New Zealand their home, and it is their home. "They are us. The person who has perpetuated this violence against us is not".

"As Canadians are learning the horrific details of last night's terror attack at two New Zealand mosques, I wish to express both my deep sadness at the tragic loss of innocent life and my profound condemnation of this cowardly and hateful attack on the Muslim community", it said.

Latest News