Saudi Human Rights official: Brought perpetrators of Khashoggi murder to justice

Saudi Human Rights official: Brought perpetrators of Khashoggi murder to justice

‘Unfortunate accident’: Saudis assure UN there’s no need for probe into Khashoggi killing

Khashoggi, a columnist for The Washington Post and a critic of Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, was killed and dismembered by Saudi agents at the kingdom's consulate in Istanbul on October 2, provoking an worldwide outcry.

The Saudi consul-general in Istanbul at the time of the murder, Mohammed al-Otaibi, is also among the 20 individuals listed on Interpol's red notice. The report notes Saudi Arabia's Public Prosecutor's Office has indicted 11 suspects and said 10 people were under investigation but has not released more information. He gave no names or details.

He said the kingdom would not accept what he termed as foreign interference in its domestic affairs and judicial system.

"We find it hard to understand why an official working in the area of human rights would possibly be unsettled by efforts to shed light on all aspects of the Khashoggi murder, which received a global response", Altun said in a statement. Turkish officials previously said they shared evidence with Saudi Arabia and other nations about Khashoggi's killing and repeatedly called for the suspects to be extradited to Turkey, where the crime was committed.

Saudi Human Rights official: Brought perpetrators of Khashoggi murder to justice
Saudi Arabia rejects call for international probe of Khashoggi murder - The Jakarta Post

"Justice in the kingdom of Saudi Arabia operates pursuant to worldwide law and it does so in all transparency", Aiban told the Geneva forum during a review of Saudi's rights record.

The CIA concluded late past year that bin Salman ordered the journalist's assassination, an accusation that has been echoed by USA senators and other observers.

After countries around the world, including every European Union member nation, encouraged Saudi Arabia to cooperate with an global investigation into the Washington Post journalist's death, Bandar bin Mohammed al-Aiban responded Thursday, saying his country already took care of everything.

Agnes Callamard, UN investigator on extrajudicial executions, said that Saudi officials have not responded to requests to cooperate with her investigation into the murder.

Latest News