Multiple fatalities in shootings at two New Zealand mosques, officials say

Mass shooting at mosque in Christchurch

New Zealand armed police respond to ongoing firearms incident in mosque

One person was arrested by New Zealand police so far, but police are still hunting for an active shooter, New Zealand Police Commissioner Mike Bush stated.

Christchurch with an active shooter.

Police said there were multiple fatalities and one person was in custody, but no details were immediately available.

It is reported 300 people were in the mosque at the time. One individual in custody, "but we are unsure if there are other people".

Police said they were in the process of mobilizing every national police resource to respond to the incident.

"A reader from New Zealand said:" This just hits so close to home.

In one shooting, the shooter live-streamed the attack, but it will not be embedded here on Townhall for obvious reasons.

Another witness said they saw at least four people lying on the ground.

There were also reports of a third active shooting unfolding outside Christchurch Hospital and and a vehicle bomb in Strickland St, but these two incidents were yet to be verified.

People in the centre of the city should stay indoors, police said. All Christchurch schools have been locked down.

Police are responding to what appears to be a shooting at a mosque in Christchurch, New Zealand.

Police are aware of a video shared online and not verified by CNN that purports to show a gunman walking into an unnamed mosque and opening fire.

He said the gunman was white and was wearing a helmet with some kind of device on top, giving him a military-type appearance.

"The situation is still unfolding but our thoughts and prayers are with our Kiwi cousins". Authorities described it as a "serious ongoing firearms incident".

The Bangladesh Cricket team, who were visiting the city They weren't inside the mosque.

Zayd Blissett, chairman of the Muslim Association of Marlborough told that he received a text the Federation of Islamic Associations of New Zealand (FIANZ) saying "50 shot" at the mosque.

The tape, viewed by The Washington Times, matches earlier reports that the gunman taped his attack.

A police spokesman urged anyone in New Zealand considering going to a mosque should stay at home.

This is a breaking news story and is constantly being updated. "We are working to have any footage removed", the New Zealand police tweeted.

Latest News