1MDB corruption trial of ex-Malaysian PM postponed, says lawyer

1MDB corruption trial of ex-Malaysian PM postponed, says lawyer

The Latest: Malaysian ex-leader's graft trial delayed

Najib posted a video of a vehicle making a swift turn to criticize flip flops by the administration of Prime Minister Mahathir Mohamad, and shared the phone numbers of two government offices to encourage ministers to speak to one another.

Najib and other Malaysian officials, employees of United States' financial institution Goldman Sachs, and fugitive Malaysian businessman Low Taek Jho, also known as Jho Low, have allegedly stolen billions of dollars from 1MDB (1Malaysia Development Berhad), a strategic development company, which was started for the goal of driving strategic initiatives for long-term economic development for the Malaysia through forging global partnerships and promoting direct investments.

Both the Malaysian public and the worldwide community have been transfixed by the scandal.

Since then, Najib has been charged four more times, making it a total of six times that he has appeared before the court. The former Barisan Nasional chairman and former UMNO president has pleaded not guilty to all the charges.

The Kuala Lumpur Court Complex was packed with local and worldwide media as they did not want to miss out on capturing photos of Najib and stories, as they were certainly "earth-shattering" material.

He was accused of involvement in money laundering through his three AmPrivate Banking accounts.

However, on Monday, Najib's lawyers have applied for a delay based on a technicality concerning the transfer of charges in the different courts.

"After the witnesses read out their statements, the defence will cross-examine them", sources told Bernama.

However, being the first of the trials, it has special significance.

"We have on standby nine witnesses but it depends on how the trial goes on the day".

Former prime minister Najib Razak has claimed trial to all charges against him in relation to former 1MDB unit SRC International. The Court of Appeal is due to rule on the application later Monday.

This is despite Attorney-General Tommy Thomas having informed the court last Thursday that the prosecution was ready to commence with its case on Tuesday.

"I will now withdraw the certificate I issued to avoid any possible argument that the transfer is a nullity", Thomas said.

Najib subsequently filed an appeal to the Court of Appeal on Feb 7 in a bid to set aside the High Court ruling granting the public prosecutor's request to withdraw the certificate of transfer.

"My view as per the usual process the three charges ought to be registered for trial at the High Court".

The three cases will now be transferred to the High Court registry.

The offences were allegedly committed at AmIslamic Bank Bhd on Jalan Raja Chulan on July 8, 2014 under Section 4 (1)(a) of the Anti-Money Laundering and Anti-Terrorism Financing Act 2001.

Latest News