Megyn Kelly & NBC Reach Exit Deal 3 Months After Blackface Controversy

Megyn Kelly parts ways with NBC, receives rest of contract

Megyn Kelly & NBC Reach Exit Deal 3 Months After Blackface Controversy

Megyn Kelly and NBC have parted ways, nearly three months after the host was ousted from her perch as the host of the third hour of Today.

The morning show host - who was removed from the network last year after making controversial comments on air - will be paid the remainder of her reported $69 million contract in the deal, the remaining value of her three-year contract. This means the news anchor is able to begin working immediately.

'The parties have resolved their differences, and Megyn Kelly is no longer an employee of NBC, ' the network said in a statement late Friday night.

The negotiations are finally over: Megyn Kelly is out the door. "You do get in trouble if you are a white person who puts on blackface for Halloween or a black person who puts on whiteface for Halloween". Kelly apologized on her show the next day, but it wasn't enough: Lack condemned her remarks in a town hall meeting at NBC, and by the end of the week Megyn Kelly Today was cancelled.

Kelly's last appearance on Today was on October 24, when she apologized for her remarks that occurred during a panel discussion about Halloween the day before. Kelly said it was OK when she was "a kid" (she was born in 1970) to don blackface - "so long as you were dressing up as a character". Her multiple gaffes - more appropriate for Fox News - created tensions at her new job.

Roker, Craig Melvin, Dylan Dreyer and Sheinelle Jones will now officially fill the third hour of the "Today" show created when Kelly's program was axed, an NBC source told People magazine.

In an on-the-street interview with a TMZ cameraman in New York City Thursday night, Kelly said viewers will "definitely see me back" on television.

Latest News