The U.S. has started withdrawing military equipment from Syria, an official from the Pentagon confirmed Thursday.
On December 19, Donald Trump said he had ordered the withdrawal of all USA forces in Syria, which are believed to number around 2,000. He declined to elaborate on the type of military equipment involved or where it was removed from due to "security concerns".
The U.S. started "the process of our deliberate withdrawal from Syria", said Col. Sean Ryan, a spokesman for the coalition fighting the Islamic State.
Trump's decision to remove troops from Syria sent shockwaves through the embattled region and led to the resignation of Defense Secretary James Mattis.
Since then, however, administration officials appear to have walked back considerably and the current envisaged timetable is unclear.
Friday's announcement signalled the first such withdrawal since the president's announcement, Rahman said.
They also did not say what part of Syria it came from, though it is expected the drawdown would begin in the country's north.
"This is the first such pullout of American forces since the USA president's announcement" of a full troop withdrawal from Syria last month, he said.
US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo is now on a Middle East tour to reassure allies about US plans to withdraw troops from Syria.