Blockbuster Wilder-Fury rematch a step closer to reality

Tyson Fury rematch with Deontay Wilder sanctioned by WBC

WBC sanctions Fury and Wilder rematch

Oleksandr Usyk pulled no punches in his assessment of the controversial outcome of the Deontay Wilder v Tyson Fury fight last week in Los Angeles.

The WBC announcement now means that lineal champion the Gypsy King can take priority for Wilder ahead of mandatory challenger Dominic Breazeale.

"He was doing all the talking", he explained.

He added: "Right now, I don't know, I am relaxed at home with my family, no boxing and here for the fight with Vasyl".

Wilder (40-0-1, 39 KOs), 33, of Tuscaloosa, Alabama, knocked Fury (27-0-1, 19 KOs), 30, of England, down in the ninth round and brutally dropped him again in the 12th round, which Fury shockingly survived.

Fury climbed back to his feet and beat the count, shocking boxing fans and even the WBC Heavyweight Champion.

With their initial bout last weekend ending in draw, many analysts suspected that Tyson Fury had been somewhat unlucky to end up with only a drawn result to show for his efforts.

"If you didn't believe in God then, you do now!"

Fury was at Old Trafford to watch Manchester United take on Arsenal in the Premier League on Wednesday evening, and said he is keen to stage a second world title fight against Wilder at a UK stadium.

WBC president Mauricio Sulaiman said the organization conducted a vote of its board of governors, and the members voted unanimously to sanction a direct rematch.

"Wilder and Fury gave boxing one of the best fights in the heavyweight division in a long time, which has created tremendous popular demand for the fans to see a rematch", reads the statement.

"The WBC is happy to confirm a direct rematch has been approved".

When asked about the performance, Usyk - who has stated his interest in moving up to heavyweight next year - appeared to be relatively unimpressed by both men's performances but praise Fury for getting up after the 12th round knockdown.

Latest News