One of those taken to hospital was taken to the intensive care unit and had to be intubated, according to NBC.
Robbinsville spokesman John Nalbone told NJ.com that the fumes from the bear repellant were contained in one area of the building's third floor.
As of 8 p.m., all impacted employees have been or are expected to be released from the hospital within the next 24 hours.
He said a preliminary investigation revealed that an aerosol can of bear attack repellent fell off a shelf at the Amazon fulfillment center and accidentally dispersed.
Rachael Lighty, a spokeswoman for Amazon, confirmed the accident Wednesday to The Washington Post, adding that safety "is our top priority". "All employees in that area were relocated to a safe place and employees experiencing symptoms were treated onsite".
Just when we thought the mother who bear sprayed her children was the worst bear spray incident we've heard yet, this recent fiasco at a New Jersey Amazon warehouse might take the cake. Fire Dept is attempting to isolate the source.
Robbinsville Fire Department members responded to the scene and said that emergency officials were investigating "fumes" as EMTs were "triaging multiple patients". "7 ambulances and a medic now assigned". The fumes were so potent that it forced the evacuation of an entire wing of the 1.3-million-square-foot facility.
"Amazon's automated robots put humans in life-threatening danger today, the effects of which could be catastrophic and the long-term effects for 80 plus workers are unknown", union president Stuart Appelbaum said in a statement. "Our union will not back down until Amazon is held accountable for these and so many more risky labor practices".