A private screening of the Lifetime documentary 'Surviving R. Kelly' in NY has been evacuated after two threats were called into the theatre.
The premiere Surviving R. Kelly docuseries premiere began at 7 pm at NeueHouse Madison Square on Tuesday evening. Some of them had been scheduled to speak at a panel discussion immediately after the film screening, Variety reported.
Although the calls were all listed as anonymous, Lifetime has confirmed that the threat in question was phoned in from Chicago. "No arrests have been made and the investigation is onoging", New York Police Department told the BBC. A Lifetime rep tells Variety the event was evacuated as a precaution after the venue received two anonymous calls. "The safety and security of our panel, guests and staff is of paramount importance to Lifetime", the network said in a statement.
"But I would say that I don't believe in happenstance, I don't believe that anything is a coincidence".
NYC Screening Of 'Surviving R. Kelly' Evacuated After Gun Threat
aIn attendance for the event was #MeToo founder Tarana Burke along with accusers of the R&B singer. "These women who come forward to tell their stories are innocent victims. They volunteered to put their lives on display ― they don't deserve this kind of harassment".
The six-part documentary highlights the varied allegations of mental, physical, and sexual abuse and sexual misconduct of the disgraced singer, and apparently features over 50 interviews with prominent figures like R. Kelly's brothers, ex-wife Andrea Kelly, and John Legend. The women featured were at the screening and blame Kelly for the evacuation. "They are now finally ready to share their full story and shed light on the secret life the public has never seen", the network said.
'Surviving R. Kelly' is set to premiere on Lifetime in the United States in January 2019.