Man in deadly Call of Duty 'swatting' hoax pleads guilty

'Call of Duty swatter' Tyler Barriss pleads guilty to 51 federal charges, receives sentence

Suspect pleads guilty to all 47 charges in fatal swatting incident

The 25-year-old from Los Angeles allegedly made a false report that resulted in Wichita, Kansas, police officers fatally shooting unarmed 28-year-old Andrew Finch on December 28, 2017.

Prosecutors said Barriss was also responsible for dozens of other calls in which he made fake reports about bomb threats and active-shooter incidents at high schools, malls and the Federal Bureau of Investigation, the AP reported.

Barriss has already pleaded guilty to false information and hoaxes, cyberstalking, and conspiracy charges related to the 2017 swatting. "His reasons were trivial and his disregard for the safety of other people was staggering". One of the players gave a false address to the other, who contacted Barriss to make the call that brought police to Finch's home in Wichita, Kansas. Alongside manslaughter, he has also pled guilty to 46 additional charges introduced two weeks ago, including cyberstalking, interstate threats, and conspiracy. Viner and Gaskill's argument reached the point where Viner threatened Gaskill with "swatting", a prominent and unsafe harassment tactic often used by gamers to send police to the residence of a person who has angered them.

Barriss also pleaded guilty to charges of making a bomb threat against the headquarters of the Federal Bureau of Investigation and the FCC in Washington DC, and to 46 counts of false reports made to emergency numbers in multiple states and the Canadian province of Alberta from calls originating in Los Angeles. Additionally, he's admitted to making bomb threats against the FCC during the net neutrality repeal vote, a Dallas Convention Center, a Florida high school, and the FBI's headquarters.

After losing a bet reportedly worth $1.50, Viner asked Barriss to swat Gaskill, using an address Gaskill had given to him in the past that actually belonged to Finch.

Barriss is accused of calling Wichita police from Los Angeles on December 28, 2017, to report a shooting and kidnapping at a Wichita address.

Also charged as co-conspirators in the federal case in Kansas are online gamers Casey Viner, 18, of North College Hill, Ohio, and Shane Gaskill, 20, of Wichita.

Currently, Barriss is being held without bail until his sentencing on January 30, 2019. "I'll be waiting", Gaskill wrote in the direct messages cited in the indictment. He was shot and killed when he unexpectedly dropped his hands after being told to put them up, according to the cops.

It is unclear what will become of separate state charges.

The call that led to Finch's death was an instance known as "swatting" - making a false report of an ongoing crime so serious that a SWAT team or large group of officers shows up.

Latest News