Google+ to shut down after security bug

Google Plus data breach

Apps & Software Google is killing Google+ after data breach exposed user information Chris Mills

They were not able to confirm which users were impacted by this but from detailed analysis, they found out that upto 500,000 Google+ accounts were potentially affected.

Alphabet shares fell 2.3 percent to $1,140 at 1:14 p.m.in NY, after earlier dropping to $1,136.50, the lowest intraday price since July 5.

Now, according to a report in the Wall Street Journal, and internal memo at Google warned that going public about the data leak would attract "immediate regulatory interest".

The tech giant said it would shut down the consumer version of the platform after it revealed users' data may have been exposed by a bug that was present for more than two years.

In a statement, Google said it believed the problem was not serious enough to inform the public. Text "NEWS" to 22840 and always receive verified news updates. Within the blog, it explained why users were not notified earlier this year.

Executives decided not to disclose this after learning of the flaw in March, when Facebook's Cambridge Analytica scandal was holding the world's attention.

Project Strobe will also lead to Google account holders getting more fine-grained controls over the data they share with apps, which now have overly broad access to user information, Google said.

"We discovered and immediately patched this bug in March 2018".

Google will limit Android apps' ability to access SMS data, call logs, and contacts. It could not definitely say how many users were affected because it said it keeps only two weeks of such records. However, what wasn't known, was that on the given accounts, friends of that profile also had their data made available to developers, even if they made such data private. An empty chair was left for Google after the committee rejected Google's top lawyer as a witness. The shutdown is anticipated to phase in over time, with Google+ scheduled go totally dark by sometime next August.

Google+ was, of course, Google's response to Facebook that never quite caught on with consumers.

Google's latest efforts may be a few months too late, but the company is trying its best to calm some nerves after the latest security breach disclosure.

Google said it launched an effort at the beginning of the year called Project Strobe created to review how other apps connect to Google +'s services, and that it was making other changes as a result.

Would you like to get published on Standard Media websites?

Latest News