Two dead including gunman, 13 wounded in Toronto shooting

Family says suspect in Toronto shooting had mental problems

Two dead including gunman, 13 wounded in Toronto shooting

Police say Faisal Hussain, 29, of Toronto was behind the rampage that created chaos on a thoroughfare crowded with bars and restaurants.

The Greektown shooting comes about three months after the city was shaken by the deaths of 10 people, majority women, killed by a man with an apparent grudge against women who drove into them on a busy street in Toronto's north end. Two dead including gunman, police reported.

Hussain fired multiple shots along the Danforth on Sunday night, killing 18-year-old Reese Fallon as well as a 10-year-old girl. He was found dead soon after the shooting, authorities said. One man sold 47 guns and made over $100,000 in a five month period, the detective said.

Ottawa has been looking at changes to Criminal Code handgun provisions - not based on the Toronto shooting, but after hearing testimony earlier this year from people affected by the January 2017 mosque shooting in Quebec City, where six people were killed, the minister said. "Absolutely everything is open right now". An autopsy is scheduled for Tuesday morning.

Andrew Mantzios told The Globe and Mail newspaper that he was having coffee with friends when shots rang out around 10:00 pm.

"The government would know that I have two kids, two cars", Di Danieli said. The area has always part of her home and her life, she said. "I am still in shock".

"Files being reviewed by police include concern Hussain expressed "support" for a website that was seen as 'pro-ISIL, ' says a law enforcement source", writes the Sun.

Gun violence has also tightened its grip on the city.

The 24-7 crisis line typically receives about 30 to 40 calls a day, said Brar, director of the Victim Crisis Response Program, who expected that counsellors would field the majority of calls Monday evening as fallout from the incident prompted more people to reach out for help.

Another witness who was standing near the scene told CTV that he heard about 20 shots and the sound of the weapon being reloaded repeatedly.

SIU spokesperson Monica Hudon said the shooter was involved in a brief exchange of gunfire with two Toronto police officers on Bowden Street, just south of Danforth Avenue.

"There was a lot of shots. It would shoot, there'd be a pause, we heard more shooting, and then a pause and then more shooting", The Globe and Mail quoted John Tulloch, who was out for a walk at the time, as saying.

John Tulloch said he and his brother had just got out of their vehicle when he heard about 20 to 30 gunshots.

A witness said she saw a little girl of around seven or eight years of age being put into an ambulance on a stretcher.

"We started to hear people scream out front", Steinhauer told the broadcaster.

Ontario Premier Doug Ford tweeted a message of solidarity with the victims following the shooting, writing: "My heart goes out to the victims and loved ones of the horrific act of gun violence in Toronto".

The incident comes with Canada's largest metropolis concerned over a spate of shootings, more than 200, this year.

Canada traditionally has relatively low levels of gun violence, particularly compared with the neighboring United States.

In a press conference shortly after the shooting, John Tory told reporters that the shooting was "evidence of a gun problem" in Toronto.

Latest News