Rescue mission day two : four more boys evacuated

4 freed from Thailand cave, but rescuers face 'war with water and time' to get to others

Second day of Thailand cave rescue

According to Reuters, witnesses saw four boys carried by medical personnel to waiting ambulances over the course of the rescue operation, undertaken throughout the day. Earlier Monday, Narongsak said the four rescued the day before were in good spirits.

GETTYThailand cave latest update: Will the football coach be last to leave? "I've been involved in cave rescue for 30 years and I can not even think of one that was more complicated".

Rescue workers bring a stretcher close to a police helicopter at a military airport in Chiang Rai on July 9, 2018, as rescue operations continue for those still trapped inside the cave in Khun Nam Nang Non Forest Park in the Mae Sai district. "Not wise questions to ask", Prime Minister Prayut Chan-O-Cha told reporters in Bangkok on Monday morning when asked about the conditions of the four. Decker said he sent four engineers to the cave site, and they assisted rescuers by boosting pumping power 40 per cent.

He said the plan is to launch the third rescue mission within 20 hours, and he is hoping for "100 per cent success".

Rescuers in Thailand on Monday began their second attempt to free the remaining boys and their coach still trapped inside a cave, but warned that heavy rains have soaked the area and they are now in a race with "water and time".

Rescuers had expected the first boys to come out around 9pm - but the first emerged at 5:40pm.

The cave complex is off-limits during the rainy season, which usually runs from May to October, when downpours can quickly flood it. Relatives said the boys had been inside the complex during the dry season.

Four more boys and their coach still remain inside the cave. Experts say it's crucial for their survival that the remaining boys are told of the positive news.

Officials lavished praise on the Thai and worldwide divers who, in pairs of two, executed the risky rescue mission, guiding the boys, who could barely swim and had no diving experience, through a treacherous 2½-mile-long escape route that twisted and turned through the cavern.

The Thai navy SEAL unit, which has been overseeing the rescue, confirmed on its Facebook page that the total number of boys brought out was eight.

As of Tuesday, four other team members and their 25-year-old assistant coach are still stranded in the cave.

None of them have fevers, and all are able to eat normal "medical" food, the doctor said, an improvement from the watered-down porridge they were fed when they were first rescued.

Former Thai navy SEAL Saman Kunan passed out making the dive on Friday and died.

The first four boys in the football team were rescued on Sunday and are in a stable condition in hospital.

The search and rescue operation has riveted people both in Thailand and internationally, with journalists from across the globe travelling to this town along the border with Myanmar to report on the ordeal.

Another video from Thai PBS showed an ambulance arriving at the hospital in Chiang Rai.

The group was found nine days later in a cramped chamber 2.5 miles inside the cave system by two British volunteer rescue divers.

Latest News