Man poisoned by nerve agent regains consciousness

Dawn Sturgess has died

PA TRAGIC Dawn Sturgess has died after being exposed to nerve agent Novichok

Police seized a auto in the large town of Swindon as part of their probe into the death of 44-year-old Dawn Sturgess, who was exposed to Novichok, a military-grade nerve agent produced in the Soviet Union during the Cold War.

Britain and its allies blamed Russia for the attack on the Skripals, prompting a major Western expulsion of Russian diplomats.

Counter-terror police have said their main line of inquiry is whether Ms Sturgess' death is linked to the first set of poison attacks in Salisbury in March. Moscow has rejected the accusations and has hit back by expelling Western diplomats.

Sturgess's family said she had the "biggest of hearts and she will be dreadfully missed by both her immediate and wider family".

A Wiltshire Police spokesman said: "We have arranged the transportation of a auto from an address in Swindon this evening in relation to the on-going incident in Amesbury".

Scotland Yard investigators believe that Sturgess and Rowley came into contact with the nerve agent most probably by picking up an unfamiliar object.

Police are yet to recover that item but Public Health England said the risk to the public is low and warned against picking up "any odd items such as needles, syringes or unusual containers".

Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov told reporters that linking Russian Federation to the poisoning would be 'absurd'.

"It was subsequently taken to DSTL and following further scientific advice, the investigation team also carried out forensic enquiries on the bus as they look to establish the point at which Dawn and Charlie were contaminated with the nerve agent".

The pair were found collapsed at Sturgess' Amesbury home on June 30.

Russian Federation has denied any involvement in the Skripal case and suggested the British security services carried out the attack to stoke anti-Moscow hysteria, an assertion London calls absurd.

Britain has notified the global chemical weapons watchdog, the Organisation for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW).

The two spent weeks in critical condition but have since been discharged from the hospital.

The father and daughter have recovered since their March 4 poisoning. "They did everything they could", Christine Blanshard, medical director at the hospital said.

Wiltshire Police said the public "should not be alarmed by this", adding: "Those involved have the training and expertise to safely remove the vehicle".

Latest News