Meanwhile, UP chief minister Yogi Adityanath who reached Varanasi around midnight on Tuesday, said on Wednesday that preliminary action had been taken against officials responsible for the mishap. The flyover was being constructed by the Uttar Pradesh State Bridge Corporation. Speaking on the tragic incident, the UP Police said on Wednesday that it sent at least five letters warning the UPSBC repeatedly to follow proper safety regulations during the construction of the bridge, as per Indian Express reports. The FIR was registered at Sigra police station against supervising officials, contractors and staff involved in the construction of the flyover. A case of culpable homicide and not of intentional murder has been registered against these persons. Uttar Pradesh Deputy Chief Minister Keshav Prasad Maurya announced the setting up of a Setu Suraksha Cell to prevent such incidents. Rajan Mittal, MD UPBC is blaming the Varanasi district administration officials for the tragedy. Mittal spoke to Indian Express and said, "Local officers also wrote about four-five letters in the past to remove street vendors from the construction site but nothing happened".
Inspector General Deepak Ratan said they had written five letters to the corporation since November asking them to ensure that the construction work complied with traffic regulations.
More people were feared trapped after the collapse in the city of Varanasi.The slab appeared to be at least 15 metres long and two metres wide.
Senior officials of a probe committee constituted by the UP government flew to Varanasi from Lucknow Wednesday and inspected the site, collected cement and metal samples for analysis and held meetings with Varanasi district officials. However, the district police maintain that they have not been told about the route diversion.
According to DIG (law and order) Praveen Kumar Tripathi, all these allied aspects like diversion of route and maintaining security norms are the responsibility of the organisation which executes work there.