The defendant was arrested shortly after the shooting at the high school, which is the worst high school shooting in U.S. history.
Prosecutors in the case listed several aggravating factors that they say contributed to the decision to seek the death penalty, including that Mr Cruz "knowingly created a great risk of death to many persons". He faces 34 charges, including 17 counts of first-degree murder.
His lawyers have let it be known he is prepared to plead guilty if he is guaranteed not to receive a death sentence.
Last week Cruz, above, appeared before magistrate court via video where 17 attempted murder charges were added by the grand jury to the existing premeditated murder charges.
The shooting has reignited the debate over gun control in Florida and across the country.
Tony Montalto, whose daughter was one of the 17 killed at Stoneman Douglas, asked commissioners at a Tuesday public hearing to put the proposals before voters.
A 15-year-old student is improving after falling critically ill from an intestinal infection weeks after being shot five times at his Florida school shooting.
But this week he failed to follow up on plans to ban the sale of assault rifles, or the sale of any type of gun to those under 21.
Borges' family has filed notice that they will sue Florida authorities to seek money to cover the cost of his recovery.
Cruz's attorneys have said he would plead guilty if the death penalty was not pursued in the Valentine's Day massacre. A plea deal is still possible despite Tuesday's court filing.
"We still stand ready to immediately plead guilty to all counts - to 34 consecutive life sentences without parole", Finkelstein said.