Aguero and City mull legal action following alleged post-match abuse

Manchester City

Aguero and City mull legal action following alleged post-match abuse

Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola refused to blame his players after the runaway Premier league leaders, reduced to 10 men at half-time, were knocked out of the FA Cup by third tier Wigan Athletic. "The clubs have until 6 pm [GMT] on Friday 23 February 2018 to respond".

Both Wigan and Manchester City have also been asked to provide their observations following crowd trouble which marred the end of the match.

Chaos descended on the DW Stadium last night as Wigan booted Manchester City out of the FA Cup after a single Will Grigg goal.

Manchester City striker Sergio Aguero is confronted by a Wigan supporter after his side's shock FA Cup defeat.

While the majority of those Wigan fans that entered the field were merely celebrating their side's historic victory, a sizeable number appeared to make a beeline for the North Stand, from where City's 4,000 supporters had watched the game.

Meanwhile, some of the travelling City support were involved in an altercation with stewards, during which objects - including an advertising hording - were thrown.

The striker made contact with the fan following a pitch invasion which left him and his City team-mates vulnerable to attack.

It certainly will not be the end of the affair though, with the FA looking for statements from both City and Wigan.

"Player and staff safety is of paramount importance and we will conduct a full investigation".

Bosses join in Guardiola and Wigan boss Paul Cook angrily clashed three times over Fabian Delph's sending off just before half-time and the pair had to be separated in the tunnel.

The forward's argument is that he was simply defending himself against the fan's aggression, although he was also clearly angry and reacted to something, which he said was the spitting.

Guardiola clashes with Cook on the touchline.

"That kind of game is like a final and always the teams can punish you", Guardiola told the BBC after the game.

City, who enjoyed 82 per cent possession in the second half, played the entire half with ten men after midfielder Delph was given marching orders in the 45th minute for a sliding challenge on Max Power.

The Carabao Cup final will take place on Sunday and there has been some big news for Arsenal. "We knew in the first 15 minutes we had to stay in the game".

Latest News