Friend With Dirt Under Nails Arrested in Student's Death

Suspect Arrested in Connection With the Slaying of Blaze Bernstein

Suspect Arrested in Connection With the Slaying of Blaze Bernstein

Bernstein attended the Orange County High School of the Arts for creative writing. On the night of January 2, Woodward picked Bernstein up and they drove to multiple locations before arriving at Borrego Park.

"We Do Believe Mr". Orange County Undersheriff Don Barnes Woodward was the last person to see Bernstein alive, according to a report from CBS Philadelphia. The friend said Bernstein then walked alone into the darkness. Investigators also said they would not release details on the condition of Bernstein's body or what may have occurred at the park.

Pictured is the park in which Bernstein was found.

The two knew each other from high school, Barnes said. He said Woodward was arrested based on inconsistencies in his comments to investigators. Authorities say DNA evidence linked Woodward, who was the last person to see Bernstein alive, to the killing. Woodward left and then returned at 4 search again but didn't find Bernstein, investigators said.

"As a parent myself, I put myself in the shoes of the Bernsteins and can't imagine the grief they must now face", he said. His wallet, credit cards, glasses and cash were all found in his room. Woodward was arrested in Bernstein's death on Friday. These were from a "fight club" he was involved in, according to the report. "With his death, a handsome life has been extinguished". "Our words can not express how grateful the family is to their community". When news of the arrest came out, Jeanne Pepper Bernstein, the victim's mother, responded to reporter Greg Lee from our sister station, KABC, with a statement. My thoughts are: Revenge is empty.

"Nothing will bring back my son so we ask the world to please honor Blaze's memory by doing an act of kindness today - don't wait - do it now", the grieving mom told the Los Angeles Times.

'My only hopes are that he will never have the opportunity to hurt anyone else again and that something meaningful can come from the senseless act of Blaze's murder. At around 1:15 p.m. a photo was taken of the suspect arriving to the jail.

Woodward told investigators that he left the park after Bernstein went out and didn't return or respond to social media messages. According to the document, Woodward said Bernstein seemed depressed, but didn't say he wanted to hurt himself.

Search and rescue crews looked for Bernstein for several days, with assistance from drone pilots.

Woodward also had dirt under his fingernails, which he told authorities was due to falling into a "dirty puddle" while sparring. Inside the vehicle, officers found camping equipment, a black belt, and a large plastic bin inside.

He agreed to be further interviews at the sheriff's headquarters in Santa Ana, where his story "stayed fairly consistent".

A sheriff's investigator wrote in court filings that Woodward appeared nervous, had scratched hands and dirt under his fingernails, and avoided touching doors with his hands while leaving the sheriff's office building.

Latest News