Mom says a fidget spinner almost killed her kid

Useful tool or nuisance?

Fidget Spinner Sends Texas Girl to Operating Room, Mom Warns Other Parents

A 10-year-old girl from Texas had a near-death experience after a toy, given to children to help with anxiety, lodged in her throat.

A fidget spinner has two or three paddles that can be spun, similar to a fan, which in theory, allows people to relax.

In the post, Joniec wrote, "Britton was taken to surgery to endoscopically locate and remove the object". The girl said she put a piece of the fidget spinner in her mouth to "clean it".

Kate Frood, headteacher at Eleanor Palmer School in Raveley Street, Tufnell Park, said in a message to parents: "While these were invented with good intent - for children with concentration issues or other additional needs - they have simply become the next craze and are actually creating distractions and arguments in class and the playground, rather than helping".

"It's important for parents and teachers who work with kids who have ADHD to know that there are very well-studied and documented treatments that work and that they're out there, so there's not really quick and easy fixes like buying a toy". She immediately pulled over and discovered that her daughter had swallowed a piece from her fidget spinner.

An X-ray showed a spinner bushing lodge in her daughter's esophagus.

When the Heimlich maneuver didn't force the object loose Joniec drove to urgent care but were unable to find where the part was either in her airway or esophagus, according to the post.

Joniec said that the GI doctor "was fascinated" because he had only ever heard of fidget spinners that morning at the mall with his son.

After her 10-year-old nearly choked on a fidget spinner, a woman from Texas wants to make sure everyone, especially parents, is aware of its potential choking hazard.

Joniec continues in her post, "Fortunately we had a positive outcome, but it was pretty scary there for a while".

Fidget spinners are driving many adults insane, but one Texas woman is warning about her daughter's risky experience.

Doctors said it's important for parents to monitor their kids' play, even if there isn't a warning on the device they're using. "The bushings pop out easily, so if you have young kids... keep in mind that these present a potential choking hazard".

Latest News